Layer pasta and vegetables in a serving bowl a day ahead. Add Jade Sesame Soy dressing shortly before serving.
You have invited the guests. Now what are you going to serve? Relax. JADE Sesame Soy Marinade makes it easy with this meal that you can prepare completely ahead. Use the intensely flavored sauce to marinate chicken drumsticks and to season a colorful pasta and vegetable salad. For an appetizer consider this Asian hummus. Choose summer fruits for dessert or offer the makings for ice cream sundaes and let guests assemble their own dream dessert.
Marinate the chicken up to a day ahead, then roast the chicken up to 2 hours before serving. For the salad, layer rice-shaped pasta and summer vegetables in a large wide serving bowl and whisk together the dressing. Chill separately, they can wait in the refrigerator up to a day ahead. The next day, shortly before serving, mix the dressing with the salad.
Arrange the richly colored chicken drumsticks and the salad on a buffet and let guests serve themselves. Young and old will love the easy-to-eat foods. When guests arrive, smile. sit back, and enjoy their company.
Roast Sesame Soy Chicken for a Crowd
You can vary the type of chicken pieces. I like drumsticks because they are easy to eat without a knife and fork. If you want to include white meat, substitute one skin-on bone-in chicken breast half (about 1 lb.) for every four or five drumsticks. Roast the chicken breast in a 400° F oven 15 to 20 minutes a side, until no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test). Let rest about 5 minutes, then cut breast meat from the bone in one piece. Slice the breast crosswise and arrange on a platter.
Makes 12 servings
2 dozen chicken drumsticks (9 lb. total)
2 cups JADE Sesame Soy Marinade
Thinly sliced green onions
1. Divide chicken pieces among 3 heavy-duty ziplock plastic bags (1 gallon size). Add enough JADE Sesame Soy Marinade to each bag to coat chicken. Seal bags and place in a large bowl. Chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight, turning bags occasionally.
2. Arrange 2 oven racks so they are in the upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat 1 or 2 ovens to 425° F. Line 2 to 4 large shallow baking pans with foil. Lightly coat the foil with nonstick spray. Make sure each piece of chicken is well coated with marinade, then lift out the chicken and arrange, skin-side down, slightly apart on the pans. (Do not crowd chicken, if all pieces do not fit, save for second batch.) Pour the remaining marinade into a small pan over high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Roast chicken for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Using the reserved marinade, brush chicken with marinade, turn over, and brush top with more marinade. Return to oven, switching pan positions and roast until chicken is no longer pink near bone (cut to test), 15 to 20 minutes longer. Remove pieces from pan and place on serving platter. (Repeat to cook remaining chicken if you have only 1 oven and 2 pans, replace foil with new foil and nonstick spray.) Sprinkle chicken with green onions and serve chicken hot or cool.
Sesame-Soy Layered Pasta Vegetable Salad
If you can’t find rice-shaped pasta (orzo or riso), use another tiny pasta of a different shape.
Makes 12 servings
1 1/4 pounds green beans
2 cups (11 oz.) dried rice shaped pasta (orzo or riso)
3 ears fresh corn or 3 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
2/3 cup rice vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup JADE Sesame Soy Marinade
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed and cut in halves
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Trim ends off beans and remove any strings. Cut beans into 2 to 3 inch lengths. Add beans to boiling water and cook until barely tender to bite, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and immerse in cold water. Drain well.
2. Fill the same pan half full of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until barely tender to bite, 8 to 11 minutes. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water. Drain well.
3. Husk corn and discard silk. Holding each ear upright in wide bowl, cut off kernels close to the cob.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, JADE Sesame Soy Marinade, sugar, and mustard.
5. In a large wide bowl, mix the pasta with about 2/3 cup dressing. Spread level. Layer fresh raw or thawed frozen corn, beans, and tomatoes over pasta. Sprinkle with cilantro. Cover salad and dressing separately and chill up to a day ahead.
6. Shortly before serving, whisk dressing to blend, then pour the dressing over salad and mix gently.